Friday, March 14, 2008

Boston Phase 4

Well, those darn ears are giving me fits!!! Now, I see that the one on the right needs rounding at the top. I spent a good deal of time working on the neck area and collar. The collar still needs some work, not quite happy with the way it looks at present. I have the first couple of layers on the hand, basic shape is looking good. I also put in a background layer today. I decided on a soft gray, but I think I'll try deepening some areas with a darker value wash. I really enjoy being able to take my time with my painting these days. I think that is so important. Everyone needs to take that time to step back, take a break, and see their painting with "fresh" eyes. I am also finding that it is very beneficial to take photos of your work. Not only, does it give you a record of your progress; but it also helps you spot problem areas (like those darn ears) that might otherwise be missed. Sometimes you can get so involved in the details, that you don't see the "whole". That's where the photo comes in----it helps you to see the whole.

No comments: