Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pelican Continues

I took a few days off.  I have found that after I sit at my easel for several days.....I need a break.  A time to re-charge and sometimes re-group.  During that time, I place my wips (works in progress) where I can see them.  It is amazing how much that helps me the next time I'm at the easel.  I see what is right and what is wrong.  A color that needs to be deepened or a shape that is a bit skewed.  I take mental notes....and then when I'm back at the easel I make the necessary changes.  In this case, the pelican's beak had gotten a bit to thick.  I made corrections to the beak and spent some time on the background as well. 
Backgrounds...probably my least favorite thing to paint.  I just don't have much patience when it comes to "fiddling" with the background.  Yet, I know it is important and it must compliment the subject not distract from it. 
Here is a little closer look at the head.  Now, here is where I like to spend my time and I love the way this guy is coming to life!

No comments: