Friday, July 1, 2011

Giraffe Part 2

You can click on the image to make it a bit bigger if you like.  I'm done with the least for now.  It is time to start pulling together more of the head and then I can see how things start to relate to one another in terms of color and value.
This is a close up view of the ear in the early stages....I thought you might like to see how I start to build up the values and the textures.
So, this is where I ended my day and I am very pleased with how this little guy is coming together!  I am using a combination of Burnt Umber, White, Cream, Burnt Sienna, Grey, and a touch of Ultra Marine Blue on my palette.
Now, as promised here is a look at my brushes......
Starting at the top:  LC (Loew Cornell) 1/2 inch shader, LC 7300 #2 flat, LC 7500 filbert #6, Robert Simmons T85 #3 round, LC 7050 Script #18/0.  I use the filbert, flats and rounds for filling in areas with color.  The script allows me to place individual hairs where needed.  The brush that I use to block in large areas of fur is an old one.  I rarely throw away a brush....and I don't even know if it is still available.  It is an LC Mixtique #2 round, but it is not the brush so much as what I DO to the brush......
I squish it on my palette....spraying out the hairs then I drag is through my "wash" of paint to load it.  To achieve my "wash" I simply add water to the paint until I reach the consistency and value I'm looking for.....  Now these aren't all my brushes, but tend to be the ones I reach for the most.  I have a whole drawer full to choose from and experiment with until I find one that gets me where I need to be!  If you have any as a comment and I'll be glad to answer in the next post. 

1 comment:

Leno said...

Beautiful job. I remember that giraffe at the zoo.(thanks to you) Can't wait to see the finished product!