Thursday, February 25, 2010

Faux Brick!

Well, so much for 'tomorrow's post'....here we are several days later! The above is a photo my 'butterfly' that I painted above the faux brick in my kitchen.
Here is the finished brick to the left of my kitchen sink above the stove area. I love French Country so I just had to add the harlequin pattern as a finishing touch.
These last two photos show you how I started the process. Below you see my base coat, which was a mixture of gesso and raw sienna. I brushed mixed this as I applied it.....blending wet into wet. After that dried, I penciled in my design. Next, in the photo above, I started applying my glazes. I used burnt umber, raw sienna, black, and pearl. I used crinkled saran wrap pushed into the wet glaze to add texture.
I just kept building the layers until I had the look I wanted! It was really an easy project....just a little time consuming and a little hard on my back....LOL! BUT, I love the way it turned out and I can't wait to get started on the bedroom mural! Unfortunately, that will have to wait awhile. We are heading to Rockport, Texas tomorrow and meeting up with friends. I doubt I will be able to get my paint brush out til we hit Dallas in about 2 weeks......

No comments: