Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Journey to Indiana

Sorry nothing "artsy" to post as of yet. We are still making our way to Indiana. We stopped and spent 4 wonderful days at Joe Wheeler State Park in Alabama. Now, we are currently in Cave City, Kentucky. We should reach Lafayette, Indiana sometime late this afternoon. I'm sure it will take a couple of days to get settled before I can re-claim my easel. I'm just "itching" to paint again. I have so many wonderful photos from our journey. I also thought I would start sharing the story of "how I became an artist". I do not have an art degree, but I was lucky enough to have a great local art shop in my community. I was always interested in art, but never encouraged to pursue that interest. My parents wanted me to direct my life in a direction whereby I could actually "earn a living". I'm sure many of you have heard that growing up. I was very fortunate to have married a man who wanted me to pursue my dreams----whatever they were. It was not till after the birth of my son in 1983, when I had my first opportunity to take an art class at the local art shop. A friend of mine had just recently had a baby and she decided we both needed a "mom's day out". She called and convinced me to sigh up for the class with her. I didn't know what to expect. I have no art supplies and no idea of how to paint. Fortunately, the art shop allowed me to "rent" the supplies I needed for the day. The teacher was wonderful and the painting was a simple landscape entitled "Misty Forest", the medium was oil. It was taught in a step by step manner with lots of attention paid to technique and color mixing. The teacher came around to us individually and helped us when needed---I was definitely needy. It was a long day, 9am to 5pm, but at the end I had a "nice" painting to show my husband. I wish I had a photo of it to share with you. It was far from a masterpiece, but even I could see the potential and I felt there was hope for me as an artist. My husband was very excited and encouraged me to continue with the classes. Next post I'll share more of my "art journey" and how I became exposed to the world of acrylics.

No comments: