Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Part 3 Artistic Journey

As promised, here are some of my "What ifs" and my approach to answering them.

What if, I make an effort to "grow" as an artist and explore fine art? This is probably my biggest "What if" I had grown to comfortable at my current skill level. It was time to "move out" of my comfort zone, but how? I turned to the internet, time to do a little research. I knew I had an interest in pursuing wild life art and pet portraits---so that is where I started. I was so lucky to fine Greywaren Art's blogspot. She is truly inspirational and a real joy to read. Through her site I found WetCanvas. WetCanvas is an artist forum, with a multitude of information. In my short association with them, I have grown as an artist and learned many new techniques. I have been painting and putting into practice the things I have been learning. For the first time in a long time, I feel like an "artist" again. Maybe more so than I have in a long time.

What if, I actually try selling what I create in a professional manner? This is another biggie for me. I have sold my work before, but never made a direct effort to market it with an actual plan of attack! Once again, Greywaren Art to the rescue. Check out her blog on Marketing your art. I'm not going to repeat it all here, but I am following her advice as closely as possible and I am seeing results. This takes time and it is easy to get discouraged, but don't give into the temptation to quit. Keep promoting, keep producing, good things come to those who persist! This leads to my next What if.......

What if, I set goals? I have never been good at goal setting, but once again I turned to the internet and did a little research. I found that to make goals work you need to first WRITE THEM DOWN. Once that is accomplished you need to break them down into "baby steps" and create a time line to complete each one of those baby steps. I now keep a journal. I document all my "baby steps" and accomplishments. My goals are now obtainable and, I might add, changing. That's OK. I have found as I grow and change, my goals need to change. Sometimes a new idea needs to be acted on immediately and that makes a change in a time line or a goal. I found being flexible in your goal setting is important to keep you moving forward, it allows you to take steps in a new direction if needed. I can't stress enough the importance of those "baby steps". Those small steps are confidence builders and enable you to see progress and success right away. Anytime you have a goal you are having trouble achieving......break it down. You will be amazed at how easily it becomes "achievable"!

Well, that is where you find me now. Working on improving my art and taking those "baby steps" toward by goals. Writing this blog, writing in my journal, both things help to keep me focused and moving forward. As always, comments and questions are always welcome. You may post your questions in the comments section and I'll answer them here.

No comments: