Sunday, September 19, 2010

BraveHeart Painting

Here is a photo of the leaves I collected to use in the painting of Braveheart.  I decided that I needed some good reference material and I am so glad I did.  Even though you think you know what a leaf looks like......I found, at least for me,.....that you can quickly forget some of the most important details.  Besides which, mother nature does a much more impressive job with colors, texture, and shadows, then my little artistic brain can do....LOL!
Here we are....Braveheart.  I have a ways to go, but I'm feeling pretty good about the painting as a whole.  The leaves are coming together, but I am concerned that they may overpower my sleeping Braveheart.  We shall see.  This is painted in acrylics on gesso board it is a wonderful surface for fine detail.  Also, I like to work in transparent layers and the board lends itself to that very well.  The color "sits on top" long enough to work with, but dries quick enough not to frustrate me.  I can, with a little scrubbing, lift color for highlights and other effects without damaging the board.  All in all.....gesso board is a great choice for me!

No comments: