Thursday, February 23, 2012

Seagull Project

I have a new painting on my easel.  The seagulls are everywhere...these two I photographed on Tybee Island in GA last November.  I love all the cool blue tones against the white of the birds and the sparkle of the reflections....
Here is my sketch....
I always do my sketch on tracing paper.  The first reason being it is easier to erase then when drawn directly on the painting surface.  The second reason...I can lay this over my painting as it progresses and make sure things have not gotten out of proportion.  For example, it is very easy to change the curve of the neck or the size of the beak without realizing it.  Many times something may not "look right" but I can't put my finger on it until I overlay my original sketch...then its "oops, there it is"!  I'm going to be trying out a new painting surface with this piece.  I normally use gesso board, but I have decided to give illustration board ago.  I like that I can cut the illustration board easily to any size and it will be much easier to store and ship completed paintings.  I have never painted on illustration board so this will be a learning experience....one I am happy to share with all of you out there in blogland.....

5 comments:

Karla said...

What a great tip! Can't wait to see the finished painting.

Unknown said...

Beautiful drawing. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Amy said...

Great idea about the tracing paper! That's just what I do with my textile artwork--never thought about painters doing that.

kelly hoernig said...

can't wait to see it finished because I love your work. the delicate style yet powerful colors are just wonderful.

Steph W said...

I love your art and I love the affinity you feel for nature - I feel it too. Beautiful work.